Economic development has been identified as an important goal by the Township of Adjala-Tosorontio. Support for new and existing businesses, as well as the economic well-being of residents, is a necessary part of planning policies.
Provincial & County Policy
The Provincial Policy Statement and the County of Simcoe Official Plan Policies provide direction on specific issues. The Township Official Plan policies must conform to the PPS and County Official Plan, which set out the following policies:
Long-term Economic Prosperity
Provincial Policy provides for economic prosperity by supporting sustainable tourism development, viable local food and agri-product businesses, and promoting opportunities for investment readiness.
Population & Employment Allocations
The County is anticipating strong overall population growth and employment growth. The Province and County direct a significant amount of growth and development to settlement areas, including a significant proportion of population and employment growth. The County strategically manages the amount of designated employment land to accommodate a range and mix of employment opportunities and other land uses to meet projected needs.
The Province and County recognize the evolving needs of a growing workforce and a changing global economy, including manufacturing, resource, and service sectors.
Strategies to support a growing and diversified workforce include: policies for home-based businesses, tourism and resource-based recreational activities, and wise use and management of resources, including agricultural resources.
Existing Policy & Legislation
- Provincial Policy Statement 2014
- County of Simcoe Official Plan Policies
Current Township Policies
The goal of the Employment Lands designation is to provide for environmentally sound and sustainable commercial/industrial development in appropriate locations to create opportunities for a diversified economic base. Section 4.9 of the Current Official Plan contains policies for Employment Lands (Commercial/ Industrial and Light Industrial). Current Official Plan policies require that:
- Generally, no outdoor storage of material or inventory will be permitted in the front and side yards of developments. Specific Zoning provisions apply to outdoor storage of goods and materials.
- All developments in the Employment Lands will be serviced with private on-site sewage disposal and potable water facilities unless full municipal services have been provided by the Township.
- Strip development will be discouraged on Provincial and County Roads through control of entrances, placement of berms, and landscaping.
- All new Employment Lands developments will be subject to Site Plan Control.
- Commercial/Industrial Uses are generally located adjacent to Highway 89/County Road 50. Light Industrial uses are generally located north of Highway 89 on both sides of Dean Drive to Concession Road #7.
New and revised Official Plan policies will aim to ensure that long-term economic development, diversification, and employment is supported through land use and development considerations.
Your ideas and vision are important!
What changes would you like to see?
- Do you think that the current policies support new and existing businesses?
- How else can the new Official Plan support economic development, diversification, and employment?
- Are there any particular local industries or businesses that require special considerations?
- Please provide any other comments you may have for consideration in the development of new policies.