Provincial & County Policy
The Provincial Policy Statement and the County of Simcoe Official Plan Policies provide direction on specific issues. The Township Official Plan policies must conform to the PPS and County Official Plan, which set out the following policies:
Health & Sustainability
Permit and facilitate all forms of housing required to meet the social, health and well-being requirements of current and future residents, including special needs requirements, and all forms of residential intensification, including second units.
Direct development of new housing towards locations where appropriate levels of infrastructure and public service facilities are, or will be, available to support current and projected needs.
Promote densities for new housing which efficiently use land, resources, infrastructure and public service facilities, and support the use of active transportation.
Establish development standards for residential intensification, redevelopment and new residential development which minimize the cost of housing and facilitate compact form, while maintaining appropriate levels of public health and safety.
Provide for an appropriate range and mix of housing types and densities required to meet projected requirements of current and future residents of the regional market area.
Maintain at all times the ability to accommodate residential growth for a minimum of 10 years through residential intensification and redevelopment and, if necessary, lands which are designated and available for residential development.
Maintain at all times, where new development is to occur, land with servicing capacity sufficient to provide at least a three-year supply of residential units available through lands suitably zoned to facilitate residential intensification and redevelopment, and land in draft approved and registered plans.
Establish and implement minimum targets for the provision of housing which is affordable to low and moderate income households.
Existing Policy & Legislation
- Provincial Policy Statement 2014
- County of Simcoe Official Plan Policies
Current Township Policies
Section 3.2.3 of the Current Official Plan contains policies for Housing. Current Official Plan policies:
- Permit semi-detached, townhouse and small scale apartment units in settlement areas providing there is sufficient infrastructure.
- Discourage strip development and very large homes.
- Stipulate that the character of the community dictates that single detached housing should dominate but should augmented by smaller units or accessory apartments to house seniors and first time home buyers.
- Provide for intensification through re-development of existing lots with higher intensity development.
In updating the Official Plan, the municipality may enhance housing policies, but must meet the minimum requirements of the Province and County.
Your ideas and vision are important!
What changes would you like to see?
- Do you think that the municipality has an appropriate mix and choice of housing to accommodate all needs? If not, what additional housing choices should be made available?
- Do you agree that development in settlement areas should be intensified?
- How do you think the character of a community can be retained while intensification and new development occurs?
- How do you think the municipality could encourage the development of more affordable housing?
- Please provide any other comments you may have for consideration in the development of new policies.