The efficient and economical provision of infrastructure and public service facilities is a key consideration for growth and development.
The Township of Adjala-Tosorontio has a Secondary Plan and a Master Servicing Plan for the settlement areas of Everett and Colgan.
Provincial & County Policy
The Provincial Policy Statement and the County of Simcoe Official Plan Policies provide direction on specific issues. The Township Official Plan policies must conform to the PPS and County Official Plan, which set out the following policies:
Provincial Policy requires that public service facilities should be co-located in community hubs, where appropriate. Community facilities should be located in settlement areas.
Before consideration is given for new infrastructure and public service facilities, the use of existing infrastructure should be optimized and opportunities for adaptive re-use should be considered.
Electricity & Green Infrastructure
Infrastructure, electricity generation/ transmission/ distribution facilities, and public service facilities should be provided in a co-ordinated manner, while considering the impacts from climate change. Green infrastructure should be promoted to compliment infrastructure.
Waste management systems need to be provided that are of an appropriate size and type to accommodate present and future requirements. They must also facilitate, encourage and promote reduction, reuse and recycling objectives.
Existing Policy & Legislation
- Provincial Policy Statement 2014
- County of Simcoe Official Plan Policies
Current Township Policies
It is a goal of the Township to provide a level of servicing that is consistent with the municipality’s ability to finance without imposing an undue tax burden. Emergency services should be provided at an appropriate level for the needs and rural nature of the Township.
Section 4.2 of the Current Official Plan contains policies for Development, including sections specific to the settlement areas of Everett, Colgan, and Loretto. Current Official Plan policies require that:
- Development outside settlement areas will generally proceed on the basis of private individual wells and sewage disposal systems. In settlement areas, municipal or communal water and sewer services should be developed together. There are different development requirements for proposals with 5 lots or more, and proposals with less than 5 lots.
- Everett will accommodate the largest proportion of growth in the Township, followed by Colgan and Loretto. Additional compatible commercial lands should be considered in future plans of subdivision.
- Any new development in a settlement area will be required to provide a Community Plan and Master Servicing Plan, and will be required to be on full municipal services.
New and revised Official Plan policies will aim to optimize the use of existing infrastructure, extend new infrastructure in an efficient and cost-effective manner, and consider the use of green infrastructure.
Your ideas and vision are important!
What changes would you like to see?
- Do you think that the current policies are ensuring efficient development of new infrastructure and effective use of existing infrastructure?
- Are you satisfied with the locations and overall provision of community service facilities and public service facilities in the Township?
- Please provide any other comments you may have for consideration in the development of new policies.